Radio and telephone interference problems can occur, particularly in areas with poor radio reception .
- A bare earth wire touching the building.
- A poor mains power earth.
- Loose connections in the energizer or plugs..
- The electric fence running parallel to telephone or power lines.
- Poor or rusty joints on the fence line.
- Damaged cut-out switch or cracked insulators.
- A broken cable under a gateway.
- Vegetation arcing / touching the fence
- Any mechanical short.
Induction is a phenomenon associated with High Voltage wires whereby a small current is transmitted through the atmosphere to adjacent neutral wires. Induction can be detected in an item by using a volt meter, or when the item is touched, one can feel a small shock.
Conventional fences carrying offset or lead-out wires
The wire between the strain insulator and the strainer post
Milking parlour railing
Induction is linked to poor earthing and can be prevented or eliminated by earthing the offending item.
Induction does not affect the voltage on the fence line.